There is no better bbq or summer lunch side dish than my Mom’s Famous Tortellini Salad.
Mom’s Famous Tortellini Salad
From the recipe collection of Tara Ippolito
This is my Mom’s famous tortellini salad recipe.
Well, I say “famous” because it really is around here.
Specifically famous within my family but everyone who’s ever had it knows just how delicious it is.
I don’t think my Mothers ever made this for a party without someone asking for the recipe.
And she’s made this for just about every gathering my siblings and I have ever had.
Partially because it’s easy & delicious and partially because she really doesn’t have a choice anymore.
We’re all far too obsessed.
This tortellini salad is the perfect side dish to pair with just about anything you can BBQ.
It goes great as a side to sandwiches, too.
It’s cold and refreshing making it an instant favorite side dish of the summer.
Did I mention yet that it’s something that’s made ahead of time? Another reason why I love this Tortellini salad so much.
I hope you give this one a try. I know if you do you’ll love it just as much as my family does.
Tips for making Mom’s Famous Tortellini Salad the best
This recipe for tortellini salad is super easy but there are a few things you can to do make sure it’s at its best.
- Feta Cheese – You have to get the fresh feta. The kind that’s in one big block with a little water. Crumble that up my hand. Don’t try to cut a corner and get the already crumbed cheese. I’ve tried it and it’s not the same. The fresh stuff is the best for this recipe and you’ll really taste the difference.
- Kalamata olives- I say to add the olives when you’re ready to serve because sometimes it can stain the pasta being next it all night. No big deal, but if you’re serving it to a crowd it might turn some people off seeing black stains on the pasta. Make sure they’re pitted, too.
- Refrigerate- Don’t rush the process. This tortellini salad has got to sit in the fridge overnight. It will be well worth the wait, trust me.
Other Great Side Dishes
Here are some other easy to make side dish recipes you’ll love, too.
- Roasted Garlic Parmesan Broccoli
- Crispy Roasted Potatoes
- Baked Tomato Parmesan
- Ranch Butter Corn
- Garlic Parmesan Fries
What to serve Mom’s Famous Tortellini Salad With
Of course the choice is always yours on what to serve with this tortellini salad.
If you’re looking for some inspiration, I personally love this as a side to sandwiches for lunch.
I’ve even served this with pizza and it’s always a hit.
Mom’s Famous Tortellini Salad Ingredients
- 1lb Tri Colored Spiral pasta (cooked)
- 1lb Cheese Tortellini (cooked)
- 1 chopped Red Bell Pepper
- 1 chopped Red Onion
- 1 jar of pitted Kalamata Olives
- 1 crumbled block of fresh Feta Cheese
- 16 Oz bottle of Robusto Italian Dressing
First, mix everything together in a big bowl except for the feta and the olives.
Then place it in the fridge overnight night.
Finally add the feta cheese and olives right before serving.
Toss it all together until all the ingredients are combined well and serve cold.
Mom’s Famous Tortellini Salad Video
Mom’s Famous Tortellini Salad
- 1 lb Tricolor Spiral Pasta (cooked)
- 1 lb CheesevTortellini (cooked)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (chopped)
- 1 Red Onion (chopped)
- 1 6 oz jar Kalamata Olives, Pitted and sliced
- 1 8 oz block Feta Cheese (crumbles off the block)
- 1 16oz bottle Robusto Italian Dressing
- Fist, cook the pastas and run them under cold water to stop the cooking proccess.
- Add the pasta and all of the other ingredients except for the feta cheese and the olives.
- Let that marinate in the fridge over night.
- Right before serving add the feta cheese an the olives. Give it one big toss to combine everything together and serve cold.