This easy Italian skirt steak marinade will leave your meat tasting so juicy and flavorful with the perfect blend of Italian herbs, garlic and olive oil.
Italian Skirt Steak Marinade
From the recipe collection of Tara Ippolito
This Italian skirt steak marinade is so packed with flavor and so easy to make.
It’s one of my favorites because you just need to grab the steak from the grocery store.
The rest of the ingredients for the actual marinade you’ve probably got in your home already.
They’re pretty basic pantry staples.
Taking into consideration that it’s 2023 and the price of steak in general is expensive.
This may not be something that you’ve been making too much lately.
So when you do grab a skirt steak from the store, let’s make it really count.
Let it sit in olive oil, fresh garlic and Italian herbs until the flavor is locked into every single bite.
Skirt steak is the perfect cut to really take on all of these delicious Italian flavors.
My family just loves when I make this marinade.
I know if you give this recipe a try that you’ll love it just as much, too.
Fast. Simple. Delicious.
Did you know that I have a cookbook called Fast Simple Delicious?
It’s 60 no fuss no fail comfort food recipes perfect for busy weekday dinners.
Click HERE to order your copy or click the 3 lines in the top right corner and click “Book”. Thank you for the support.
Do I have to use skirt steak?
Skirt steak is a great choice for this marinade because it really holds onto all of those flavors so well.
I’ve heard it’s because is has a looser structure than other cuts of steak.
That’s why whatever youre marinating it in will really penetrate the meat.
I have tried this recipe with flank steak and it’s also very good.
I would highly recommend you choose either one of those for this recipe.
Should I tenderize the steak?
I recommend tenderizing the steak if you can.
Tenderizing is just breaking down the connective tissue so the steak becomes more tender.
You can do this by placing some plastic wrap over the meat and pounding it with a meat mallet.
Pound down the whole length of the steak.
Oh and use the spiky side. That will really get into all of those little fibers and break them up.
What should I serve this skirt steak with?
Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love steak. It’s one of my favorite things to eat on earth.
But I do have to admit, sometimes the sides that are served with it are almost as good as the steak itself.
Here are some fast and easy side dish recipes that would be perfect:
- The best marinated tomatoes
- The ultimate mashed potatoes
- Lipton onion roasted potatoes
- Parmesan crusted brussels sprouts
How should I cook the steak?
How to cook this skirt steak really just comes down to preference.
I used my grill pan with just a touch of oil but I absolutely love this on a real deal outdoor grill.
Whatever method you chose to use, just be conscious that this steak cooks fast.
It really only needs 2-3 minutes on each side over direct heat.
Tips for making this it’s best
- Tenderize the meat. Make sure break it down so it’s super tender.
- Marinate it longer. The longer the better here. Aim for 24 hours if you can.
- Remove the marinade. Try to take as much of the marinade off the steak as you can so the extra herbs don’t burn.
- Cook it fast. Hot and fast is the best way to cook this steak. It will be ready in no time with a juicy center and nice outer layer of crust.
- Let it rest. Rule of thumb is to let the steak rest under a tin foil tent for half of the total time that it was cooked. So if it took 8 minutes to cook, rest it for 4.
- Slice against the grain. If you want this steak to be tender, juicy and not chewy, turn it on its side and cut it against the grain.
Italian skirt steak marinade ingredients
- Skirt steak
- Olive oil
- Crushed garlic
- Dry Rosemary
- Dried Thyme
- Dried Parsley
- Dry Oregano
- Onion Powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
First, get a large ziplock bag and add all of the ingredients to it.
Now mix them together and massage them into the meat with your fingers on the outside of the bag.
Next, make sure that the bag is sealed tightly and place it in the fridge to marinate overnight.
Then remove the steak from the marinade and cook it using whatever method you prefer.
Either way hot and fast is the way to go. Skirt steak needs just a couple of minutes to cook on each side.
Finally let the steak rest in a tin foil tent for half of the total amount of time you cooked it for.
Slice it up and enjoy!
Italian skirt steak marinade recipe video:
Italian Skirt Steak Marinade
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp Dried Tyme
- 1 Tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 Tsp Dried Rosemary
- 4 Cloves Crushed Garlic
- Salt Your Preference
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder/Flakes
- In a large Ziplock bag add the skirt steak
- Add all of the ingredients and mix it in the bag until the steak is evenly coated.
- Place in the fridge to marinate (over night ideally)
- Remove the steak from the bag & cook it however you like.