Baked Italian meatballs are the ultimate Sunday dinner comfort food. These are my favorite!
Baked Italian Meatballs
From the recipe collection of Al Dente Diva
To me there’s nothing better then making dinner on a Sunday. I usually start my sauce super early around 2:00pm. It doesn’t feel like a Sunday unless my house smells like simmering tomato sauce.
On more occasions than not, I’m making meatballs to go with it. They truly are my Italian comfort food of choice.
These baked Italian meatballs are my favorite! Not only are they easy to make but they are so deliciously flavorful, too.
Italian meatballs in general are super popular. Well at least they are around where I live in Jersey. But I have secrets to mine that I think make them a cut above the rest.
Now I wouldn’t necessarily call myself an expert per se but I do know my meatballs. I’ve been making them since I was a teenager. Here are some tips I’ve learned to making the best baked Italian meatballs ever.
- Use Italian seasoned breadcrumbs. They are sold anywhere that plain breadcrumbs are. It’s a great way to pack in some more flavor.
- Add milk to the breadcrumbs. This will keep the meatballs nice and moist and prevent them from drying out.
- Speaking of drying out- make sure you add enough sauce to them when you bake them. No one likes a dry meatball.
- Sauté the onion and garlic. It’s crazy how much of a difference this simple step makes. The meatballs will have such an incredible flavor to them.
- The last tip that I’m going to mention is probably the most important. Do NOT over mix the meat. Over mixing the meat will make the meatballs super dense. They will be hard as a rock. Just mix the meat until it’s combined then stop.
Now that you know my baked Italian meatballs secrets. Let’s get to actually making them!
What you’ll need:
- Ground beef
- Ground pork
- Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- Parmesan cheese
- Garlic powder
- Italian seasoning.
- Sautéed garlic and onion
- Tomato sauce
How To Do It:
First add the beef, pork, eggs, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and garlic powder in a large bowl.
Next add the breadcrumbs. Pour the milk on top of the breadcrumbs and let that sit for a minute.
Carefully mix everything together until just combined. Do not over mix! The meatballs will be very dense that way.
Form the mixture into medium sized ball and place them on a greased baking sheet. By the way, I got these awesome pink food handling gloves on Amazon!
Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes.
Add the meatballs to a baking dish lined with tomato sauce.
Cover the meatballs generously with more tomato sauce.
Bake covered for an additional 15 minutes.
Serve and enjoy!
These meatballs are awesome! I hope they become a part of your Sunday dinner rotation just like they’re a part of mine. Enjoy!
💜 Al Dente Diva
Baked Italian Meatballs
- baking sheet
- baking dish
- 2.5 Pounds Ground beef
- 1 Pound Ground pork
- 2.5 Cups Seasoned Italian breadcrumbs
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 Tbs Garlic Powder
- 1 1/2 Tbs Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 Piece Chopped Onion
- 8-10 Cloves Minced Garlic
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- 2 Tbs Olive oil
- 5-7! Cups Tomato sauce
- Cooking spray
- In a small pan sauté the onion and garlic in olive oil.
- Season lightly with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning
- In a large bowl add- the beef, pork, eggs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning.
- After the onion and garlic are sautéed and cooled- add it to the bowl
- Now add the breadcrumbs
- Pour the milk on top of the breadcrumbs
- Gently mix the ingredients until they are just combined. Don’t overmix
- Form them into medium sized balls.
- Add them to a baking sheet thats been sprayed with cooking spray
- Bake for 30-40 minutes
- Then add them to a tomato sauce lined baking dish
- Cover the meatballs with additional sauce.
- Baked covered for another 15 minutes.
- Serve hot