This creamy chicken noodle casserole is so easy to make and couldn’t be more delicious.
Chicken Noodle Casserole
From the recipe collection of Tara Ippolito
This chicken noodle casserole has comfort food written all over. It’s so creamy, cheesy and incredibly delicious.
To me this is kind of like chicken pot pie meets chicken noodle soup.
Not sure if that makes sense but you’ll know what I mean when you try it.
Its loaded with chunks of shredded chicken and vegetables in a thick sauce.
Perfect for those egg noodles to soak up.
The crunchy bread crumb topping just pushed this casserole over the edge and made it almost irresistible.
There aren’t many ingredients to this one at all either.
Chicken noodle casserole is a great dinner option for a busy weekday dinner.
Other easy and delicious comfort food dinners:
- Cheeseburger Casserole
- NO ROUX Shells and Cheese
- Easy Alfredo Sauce
- Creamy Tomato Ravioli Sauce
- Creamy Sausage Rigatoni
chicken noodle casserole recipe video:
Why I love chicken noodle casserole:
I just thought I’d lay it out straight for you in case you were on the fence about this one.
Here are some of the reasons why this chicken noodle casserole should be on your menu this week.
- Very easy to make.
- Affordable ingredients.
- Can be made a day or two ahead. Just pop in the fridge until you’re ready to bake it.
- It can be frozen for up to 6 months.
- Kid friendly
- No sides required. This meal is filling enough to be served entirely on its own.
- Did I mention it’s delicious, too?
What are the chicken options for this?
There actually are a bunch of chicken options out there for this casserole.
I prefer shredded rotisserie chicken but so many options work to be honest.
- Rotisserie chicken- but I already said that one.
- Canned Chicken- this is probably an even more affordable option.
- Grilled chicken cut into cubes.
- Poached chicken shredded
- Crockpot chicken
- Grilled chicken
Don’t go out of your way to get the rotisserie chicken I recommend in the recipes.
If you’ve got some leftovers in the fridge, make your life easier and just use that.
Can I use fresh vegetables?
Sure, you can use fresh vegetables for this chicken noodle casserole.
I just prefer the convenience of the frozen bagged once’s. If that’s not your thing, feel free to use fresh.
Just keep in mind that you may want to cook them a little first before adding them to the casserole.
Just to make sure they’re cooked all the way through.
Recipes are meant to be a guide so add or subtract whatever you’d like.
What are some chicken noodle casserole topping variations?
There are quite a bit of options when it comes to topping options.
I love the seasoned bread crumbs for this one but there are so many to choose from.
Here are a few options:
- French’s Fried Onions
- Ritz Crackers
- Crushed Doritos
- Crushed Potato Chips
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Parmesan Cheese
Choose which ever topping suits you best. They’re all fantastic!
Can I substitute the noodles?
Yes, you can substitute the egg noodles for something else.
I personally love the egg noodles for this one because it reminds me of chicken noodle soup.
The egg noodles are light and fluffy and go perfectly with this casserole.
If egg noodles aren’t your thing or you have some pasta lying around that you’d like to use then go for it.
I’d recommend still using a ribbon pasta like:
It’s not a big deal if you’d like to use any other pasta though. They will all work, no problem.
Chicken Noodle Casserole Ingredients:
- Cooked chicken
- Cream of chicken soup
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Egg noodles
- Frozen vegetables (thawed)
- Salt and pepper
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Bread crumbs
First, in a large bowl add the soup cans, milk, sour cream and seasoning.
Stir everything together until it’s evenly combined.
Then add the shredded cheese.
And the frozen/ thawed vegetables.
Stir it all to combine.
Next add the cooked egg noodles.
Stir everything together.
Then add the mixture to a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
Then in a medium sized bowl, melt the butter.
Add the breadcrumbs and stir them into the butter.
Now sprinkle the breadcrumbs on top of the casserole.
Lastly, bake it at 375° for about 30 minutes or until the breadcrumbs are toasted.
Finally, let it cool slightly and serve hot.
Chicken Noodle Casserole
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbs onion powder
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 1 tbs italian seasoning
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 19 oz bag Frozen vegetables- thawed
- 1 whole rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1 pound egg noodles
- 3 tbs butter
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- In a large bowl, add the soup cans, milk and sour cream
- Season with the salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and Italian seasoning
- Stir everything together until its well combined
- Stir in the frozen but thawed vegetables, shredded chicken and cheese.
- Add the cooked egg noodles and gently stir everything together until its evenly combined
- Transfer the mixture to a 9×13 inch baking dish
- In a small bow, melt the butter in the microwave and toss it into the breadcrumbs
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs evenly on top of the casserole
- Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes or until the casserole is hot and bubbly and the breadcrumbs are toasted
If you try this recipe please leave me a comment here. I’d love to hear your thoughts on it. Thank you for visiting my site 💜.