Baked tomato Parmesan is the perfect low carb summer side dish, snack or appetizer..
Baked Tomato Parmesan
From the recipe collection of Tara Ippolito
Baked tomato parmesan is my current food obsession at the moment.
I used to make these all the time and kinda forgot about them until I saw some nice big ripe Jersey tomatoes at the grocery store.
Once my memory was sparked I knew what I had to do. I needed to make these ASAP!
They really are the most incredible snack, appetizer or side dish ever. Everyone just loves these when I make them.
The tomatoes are perfectly stewed in the oven and the mozzarella cheese compliments them so well.
Truly addicting! It’s a struggle for me not to eat the entire thing myself. I’m really not exaggerating either.
The best part about this delicious baked tomato parmesan is that is so easy to make.
My go to recipe for when I need a super easy and fast side dish.
I’ve even made these as an appetizer and snack before, too.
I actually have a vegetarian brother and sister in law. I always struggle for ideas of what to make them when they come over to my house for dinner.
This recipe is always a hit with them.
Baked tomato parmesan is great for the people in your life who are following a Keto or low carb diet, too.
I absolutely love this recipe so much. I know if you try it you’ll love it too.
More Easy Recipes
If you’re looking for more super easy to make side dishes like this one here are a few others you’ll love, too.
- Ranch Butter Corn
- Garlic Parmesan Fries
- Homemade Garlic Bread
- Crispy Oven Roasted Potatoes
- Parmesan Roasted Broccoli
What tomatoes should I use?
I like using beefsteak tomatoes for this recipe because they’re nice and big.
These tomatoes are generally less seedy and hold up nicely in the heat of the oven, too.
Of course you technically can use whether tomatoes you’d like but my recommendation is that you use beefsteak like I did.
Tips for making baked tomato parmesan
This recipe is so easy to make but there are a couple of things that you can do to make sure that it’s at its best.
- Dry the tomatoes- Make sure to pat the tomato slices dry on both sides before you place them on the baking sheet. Extra moisture will pull of of them as they bake and you don’t want them too runny.
- Seasoning- Dont be shy with the seasoning. Seasoning the tomatoes with even a little salt and pepper will add a ton of flavor to them.
- Mozzarella- I purposely avoid fresh mozzarella for this recipe. There’s too much moisturizer on the “wet” kind. I like to get a block of mozzarella and slice it myself. Don’t get the pre shredded mozzarella in a bag. It will not melt the same way.
- Fresh herbs- I really like to use some fresh shredded basil for this recipe. Even parsley and oregano would be great here. I used dried herbs for this time only because I didn’t have any. The dry herbs work well too but I prefer fresh.
Follow these little tips and you’ll have the best baked tomato parmesan ever.
Baked Tomato Parmesan Ingredients
- Beefsteak Tomatoes
- Parmesan Cheese
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Salt & Pepper
- Italian Seasoning or Dried Basil
- Olive Oil
- Dried Parsley
First rinse the tomatoes and dry them off.
Now slice the tomatoes about a quarter inch thick.
Next place the tomatoes onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
Then pat both sides with a paper towel and remove as much moisture as you can.
After that sprinkle the tops with salt and pepper.
Now add a slice of mozzarella cheese to the top of each tomato.
Then drizzle them with olive oil, and sprinkle them with some parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning.
Bake them at 400° for about 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is nice and melted.
Finally transfer them to a serving platter, garnish with a little parsley and enjoy.
Baked Tomato Parmesan Recipe Video
Baked Tomato Parmesan
- baking sheet
- Parchment Paper
- 2-3 large Beefsteak Tomatoes
- 4-6 oz Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 tbs Olive Oil
- 2 tbs Italian Seasoning
- 1 tbs Parsley, dried (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Slice the tomatoes into 1/4 inch pieces and pat them dry with a paper towel to remove some moisture.
- Place them onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet and season them with salt and pepper.
- Place a piece of mozzarella cheese on top of each tomato slice and sprinkle them with parmesan cheese.
- Now drizzle them with olive oil and season them with the Italian seasoning
- Bake them in the oven for about 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is nice and melted.
- Let them cool slightly, garnish them with some dried parsley and enjoy!