All the flavors of this citrus marinated skirt steak help to make it tender and delicious.
Citrus Marinated Skirt Steak
From the recipe collection of Tara Ippolito
There are so many amazing flavors in this citrus marinated skirt steak recipe.
It’s one of my favorites and I make it often.
I swear I never get sick of steak.
I could eat it every single day and be the happiest person on the planet.
This marinade recipe is so easy to put together and so incredibly delicious.
This can be eaten a bunch of ways. Either as a main protein, in fajitas/tacos/quesadillas, or as a salad topper.
There are many delicious options for this one!
It’s the perfect cut to soak up all the different flavors in the marinade.
I think that’s why I just love it so much. Skirt steak can be so flavorful if it’s done the right way.
Luckily for me my family loves it as much as I do so I get to make it often.
I try to keep the marinades interesting so no one gets bored.
I’m always looking for new recipes to try and this one is loaded with tons of flavor.
The citrus ingredient here really helps to tenderize the meat, too.
I absolutely love this citrus marinated skirt steak recipe. I know if you try it you’ll love it, too!
Other Marinade Recipes
If you’re always looking for the next killer marinated recipe I have a few that I know you’d love.
- The Best Ever Steak Marinade
- Italian Skirt Steak Marinade
- Lemon & Dill Salmon Kebabs
- The Best Chicken Marinade
- Grilled Chicken Skewers
- Taco Lime Chicken
All of these are super delicious. I hope you give them a try.
Tips for the best citrus marinated skirt steak
This marinade is really such a great one.
You can’t really mess it up in anyway.
There are a couple things you can do to make sure that it’s at its absolutely best though.
- Tenderize the steak. If you have a meat tenderizer it’s a great idea to pound the steak with it before marinating. Skirt steak can be a little tough so this will help.
- Use fresh OJ. When it comes to using juice in a recipe fresh is always best. If you have an orange, juice it! This citrus here will really help to tenderize the meat also.
- Marinate longer. You don’t want to over do it but the longer the better when it comes to marinating. I’d suggest anywhere from 4 hours until over night. Let all those flavors really penetrate the meat.
- Drain it. Make sure you drain the meat from the marinade before you cook it. All the flavors are already in the meat itself. I’d you drain the marinade it will get a nice sear while cooking.
- Don’t over cook it. Skirt steak only needs to be cooked for a couple of minutes on each side. Try not to overcook the meat or it will be tough. Check out this article on BonAppetite.com on how to cook a skirt steak if you’re interested.
- Let it rest. Let the steak rest under a tin foil tent before slicing. General rule of thumb is to let the steak rest for half time it took to cook it. Doing this will help lock all the juice and flavor in.
- Slicing. Make sure you slice the skirt steak against the grain. This will also make it tender and easier to chew.
Do I have to use skirt steak?
No, you don’t have to use skirt steak for this marinade.
Although I would highly recommend it.
Skirt steak is porous and can be a tougher cut.
Which makes it a really great selection of meat for this particular marinade
Flank, sirloin, round, and hanger steak would all be really good selections here, too.
How to cook citrus marinated skirt steak
How you cook this is entirely up to you!
I love this steak on a grill or a grill pan if you need to cook inside.
A cast iron skillet would even me amazing here, too.
Just be sure to drain the marinade from the meat before you cook it and enjoy!
What to serve with citrus marinated skirt steak
There are so many options for side dishes with this steak.
I usually like to pick a vegetable and a carb as a side.
Here are some recipes that would go perfectly with this.
- Parmesan Crusted Brussels Sprouts
- Spicy Kani Salad
- Mexican Street Corn Casserole
- Ranch Butter Corn
- Garlic Parmesan Fries
- Crispy Oven Roasted Potatoes
Citrus Marinated Skirt Steak Ingredients
- Skirt Steak
- Minced garlic
- Soy sauce
- Orange juice/ slices
- Garlic powder
- Sliced onions
- Olive oil
- red wine vinegar
- Lime juice
- Lime zest
- Fresh parsley
First, place the steak into whatever container you’re going to marinate it in.
Then in a separate bowl, whisk together all of the ingredient.
Next add the sliced onions.
Now pour the marinade over the steak and massage it in.
Then seal the bag or cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it in the fridge.
Let the steak marinate for 4 hours- overnight.
Once you’re ready to cook the steak, drain the marinade from it.
Reserve the onions if you want to cook them along side the steak.
Cook/ grill the steak however you’d like and enjoy!
Citrus Marinated Skirt Steak Recipe Video
Citrus Marinated Skirt Steak
- 3 lbs skirt steak
- 4 tbs soy sauce
- 1/3 c orange juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic,minced
- 1/4 cup parsley, fresh
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbs cumin
- 1 lime juice and zest
- 1 large Onion, sliced
- First add the steak to whatever you want to marinate it in.
- In a separate bowl, combine all the rest of the ingredients except for the onion and whisk them all together.
- Then add the onion and toss that into the marinade.
- Pour the marinade over the steak and seal it.
- Place the streak in the fridge from 4 hours up until over night.
- Drain the steak from the marinade and grill/cook it however you'd like. Save the onions to grill also if you want. Serve warm & enjoy.