The short cut for this sausage and pepper patty melt will save you so much time and is absolutely delicious.
Sausage and Pepper Patty Melt
From the recipe collection of Tara Ippolito
This sausage and pepper patty melt is so delicious and easy to make, too.
I used to make sausage and pepper sandwiches and it would take me forever.
Those sausage links are so good but can really take a while to cook.
Not to mentions that once they’re sliced it’s super hard to eat the actual sandwich.
They’re slipping and sliding all over the place and everything is falling apart.
It can be a complete sloppy mess.
Once I switched from sausage links to patties my whole sandwich game changed.
Why the heck didn’t I think of this earlier?!?!
This small switch make the biggest difference.
This way is much easier to eat and takes much less time to prepare, too.
This dinner recipe is a winner!
These sandwiches are a great idea for lunch, too.
I know if you try this one you’re going to love it, too.
Fast. Simple. Delicious.
Did you know I have a new cookbook out called Fast Simple Delicious?
It’s 60 no fuss no fail comfort food recipes perfect for busy weeknight dinners.
Preorder your copy HERE and thank you for the support.
What sauce should I use?
I cut a corner here and used jarred Raoes Homemade marinara sauce.
If you’d like to make your own that’s great!
I have an awesome recipe for homemade tomato sauce if you’d like one, too.
Do I have to use the flat sausage patties?
No you don’t technically have to use the flat patties for this recipe.
If you’d prefer to use the traditional sausage links you can!
Just be sure to cook them all the way through.
What rolls should I use?
This depends on you!
Use whatever rolls are your favorite.
I prefer the Kaiser rolls because they’re big and can handle all this filling.
So use whatever you’d like. This is even good by less and a nice low carb or keto recipe.
What to serve with Sausage and pepper patty melts
There’s not much you need to serve along side these sandwiches.
They’ve got the carbs, protein and vegetables covered!
If you are looking to add something here a nice simple salad would be a good choice.
Other Sausage Recipes:
Here are some other really easy and delicious recipes that use sausage also.
- Kaiser Rolls
- Tomato sauce
- Sausage Patties
- Bell pepper, sliced
- Mozzarella cheese
- Onion, sliced
- Salt & pepper
- Garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
- Olive oil
Sausage and Pepper Patty Melt Instructions
First, in a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium high heat and add the peppers and onions.
Sauté them for about 5 minutes until they are soft and all the salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning.
Next add the tomato sauce and stir it into the sausage and peppers.
Set the peppers and onions in the sauce aside and keep them warm.
Now add the sausage patties to a skillet over medium high heat and brown them on both sides until they’re cooked completely through. This should take about 4 minutes on each side.
Then add a slice of mozzarella cheese to the top of each sausage patty.
I like to carefully add a little water to the pan and lid it. The water creates steam and melts the cheese perfectly.
Then cut the roll in half horizontally and add some of the peppers and onions.
Now top it with the sausage patty with cheese. I sprinkled a little dry basil on top but that’s totally optional.
Finally close the sandwich with the top roll and you’re done!
Serve warm and enjoy.
Sausage and Pepper Patty Melt Recipe Video
Sausage and Pepper Patty Melt
- 4 Kaiser Rolls
- 4 Sausage Patties
- 4 slices Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 large Bell Pepper, sliced
- 1 large Onion, sliced
- 2 tbs Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 cup Tomato Sauce
- Dried Basil (optional)
- In a large skillet, heat the 1/2 of the olive oil over medium high heat and add the sliced peppers and onions. Season them with salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning.
- Now add the tomato sauce and stir everything together. Set it aside and keep it warm.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat add the rest of the olive oil and the sausage patties. Brown them on both sides until they're cooked all the way through.
- Then add a slice of mozzarella cheese to the top of each patty. I like to melt the cheese by carefully adding a little bit of water to the hot skillet and placing a lid on top. The steam will melt the cheese perfectly. I like to add a little dried basil but that's optional.
- Now slice open the rolls and evenly distribute the peppers and onions on the bottom of each roll. Top with the sausage patty and cheese and close the sandwich with the top of the roll.
- Serve warm and enjoy