Ice cream cone cupcakes are easy to make, look super cute and are so fun to eat.
Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
From the recipe collection of Tara Ippolito
Does anyone remember ice cream cone cupcakes?
We used to eat these as kids all the time.
It seemed like every birthday party served these when I was growing up in the 80’s and we absolutely loved them.
They were so exciting to eat back then and still are to be honest.
My sons were just introduced to them this weekend and were thrilled and intrigued at the same time.
This is such a fun dessert.
A cupcake that looks just like an ice cream cone? Sign me up!!
The best part about this dessert is that not only are they absolutely adorable to look at but they’re super easy to make, too.
If you know me I’m very upfront about not being a great baker.
It’s just not something that I was ever really good at so I try to avoid it most of the time.
Any dessert that I do make has to be pretty much fool proof.
That’s why I love these ice cream cone cupcakes so much.
They’re almost impossible to mess up and they makes them right up my alley!
I know if you give this fun dessert a try that you’ll love it, too.
Other easy desserts
So I already admitted to not being a great baker.
Any dessert I make has to be easy and taste good.
Im all about the semi homemade desserts because that’s even easier for me.
If you’re looking for some desserts that are super easy to make like these ice cream cone cupcakes here are a few great ones:
- Warm chocolate chip cookie skillet
- Mini banana cream pies
- 3 ingredient blueberry cobbler
- Muffin tin cinnamon roll apple pies
- 4 ingredient cherry danish
Fast. Simple. Delicious
Did you know that I have a new cookbook out?
It’s called Fast Simple Delicious and it’s 60 no fuss, no fail comfort food recipes perfect for any weeknight dinner.
CLICK HERE to preorder your copy and thank you for supporting me in advance.
What cake mix should I use for these ice cream cone cupcakes?
We’ll first of all, you don’t need to use cake mix.
I’d you have a homemade cake mix recipe that you’d like to use please feel free to use that.
I just love the convenience of the boxed cake mix.
If you’re like me and are going to use a cake mix, use any brand and flavor you like!
Any cake mix and icing flavor combination would work here so choose your favorite.
Won’t the ice cream cones burn?
Not at all.
The ice cream cones do not burn in the oven so don’t worry about baking them.
They’ll do just fine.
Tips for making the best ice cream cone cupcakes
We know that this dessert is easy peasy.
Especially using the boxed cake mix as a short cut.
As easy as these ice cream cone cupcakes are, there are just a couple tips to make them the best.
- Don’t overfill the cones- make sure to add enough cake mix to the cones that the batter rises to the top. Don’t overdo it! If you pour more into the cones then the recommended amount it will spill over when they’re being baked.
- Let them cool- let the cones cool completely before icing them. The icing will run off and it will create a big sloppy mess.
- Flat bottom cones. This may seem obvious but be sure to get the cones with the flat bottoms so they stand upright nicely.
- Stand them up- I had no problem keeping the cones filled with batter upright when I was baking them. If you think you could use some extra help try putting the cones into a muffin tin. You can wrap some tinfoil to the bottom so they fit inside each one nice and secure.
Ice cream cone cupcake ingredients
- Boxed cake mix (and ingredients to make them)
- Jumbo flat bottom ice cream cones
First preheat the oven to 350°.
Now make the cake mix as it’s directed on the package.
Then pour the cake mix into each ice cream cone 3/4 of the way up.
Place each filled ice cream cone onto a baking sheet.
Next carefully place the baking sheet into the oven and bake for about 15 minutes or until the cake mix is cooked all the way through.
Now let them cool completely before adding icing and sprinkles.
Serve cool and enjoy!
Ice cream cone cupcakes recipe video
Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
- baking sheet
- 1 box Funfetti Cake mix and ingredients to make it
- 15 oz Icing any flavor
- 24 Jumbo ice cream cones (flat bottom)
- First preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Now make the cake mix according to the directions on the back of the package
- Then evenly pour the cake mix into each ice cream cone about 3/4 to the top
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cake mix is cooked all the way through
- Let them cook completely before icing and adding the sprinkles. Serve and enjoy!