This is the perfect meat sauce for pasta that’s so easy to make and ready in just 20 minutes.
Meat Sauce For Pasta
From the recipe collection of Tara Ippolito
Everyone needs a really great go to meat sauce for pasta.
This one is my go to.
I usually make this recipe when I’m in a pinch and don’t have a ton of time or energy to cook if I’m being honest.
I can get this on the table in 20 minutes and it’s super easy to put together.
My kids really seem to love this one, too. I think they even prefer this recipe over some sauces I make that need hours to simmer to get just right.
Im completely okay with that! If they like it and its easy to make then sign me up.
This meat sauce for pasta recipe may be relatively simple to put together but it sure does pack a lot of flavor.
Its absolutely delicious over any pasta you choose.
I know if you give this recipe a try that you’ll love it, too.
Fast. Simple. Delicious.
Did you know I have a cookbook?
It’s called Fast Simple Delicious and it’s 6o no fuss, no fail comfort food recipes perfect for busy weeknight dinners.
CLICK HERE to pre-order a copy & thank you if you choose to buy one.
Do I have to use beef?
Not at all. You don’t have to use beef in this meat sauce for pasta recipe.
I do prefer beef but any ground meat will do.
Ground turkey, veal, chicken or even sausage would work if you prefer that.
What’s the difference between meat sauce and bolognese?
Before I start I’d just like to say that this is based on the versions I make.
I’m sure If you asked this question at a culinary school or to a trained chef there would be a much better answer.
For this home cook, the answer is simple.
My bolognese sauce simmers for a much longer time, has less tomatoes in it and includes chopped carrots and celery.
My meat sauce doesn’t.
They are very similar but those are the differences in mine.
What pasta should I use?
If you’re really into pairing sauces with the perfect pasta then there are some that just go with a meat sauce like this.
Anything with a tube like rigatoni or penne or shells that would scoop up and hold all of that delicious sauce would be great.
But the truth is that pasta is pasta at the end of the day.
If you have someone you’d like to use then use it.
My kids wanted cheese ravioli with this meat sauce and it was delicious!
Can I substitute the wine?
If you’re not into the wine in this recipe that fine.
Just completely omit it or replace it with some beef or vegetable stock.
What should I serve with this meat sauce for pasta?
This meat sauce for pasta is a meal in and of itself.
It’s very filling and hearty comfort meal.
If you’re looking to serve something along side of this a nice big salad would be great.
But as always the choice is completely up to you.
Other great pasta recipes
If you love an easy and delicious pasta dish like this one here are a few other sauces you’d love also.
- The BEST vodka sauce
- Tik Toks viral alfredo sauce
- Pink marinara alfredo sauce
- One pot creamy broccoli pasta
Meat sauce for pasta ingredients
- Ground beef
- Olive oil
- White wine (or red if you want)
- Crushed tomatoes
- Salad and pepper
- Garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
- Pasta of choice (I used cheese ravioli)
- Pasta water
First, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
Then add the onion and sauté it for about 2/3 minutes or until it starts to soften.
Now add the minced garlic, Italian seasoning and garlic powder.
Sauté that together with the onion for another minute or two.
Then add the ground beef and season it with salt and pepper.
Break the meat into small pieces while it cooks and drain the extra grease of it produces a lot.
Next add the wine and turn the heat up to high.
Bring the wine to a gentle boil and cook it down till it reduces by about half.
After that add the crushed tomatoes.
Season the sauce with salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning.
Stir everything together and let the sauce simmer. Stirring occasionally.
In the meantime, boil the pasta in salted water according to the directions on the package.
Right before you strain the pasta, add a ladle to the sauce.
The salty starchy water will help season and thicken the sauce.
Now add the pasta to the sauce and gently stir it in.
Serve warm and with parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
Meat sauce for pasta recipe video
Meat Sauce For Pasta
- 1.5-2lbs lbs Ground Beef
- 2 tbs Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup white or red wine
- 1 small Onion, chopped
- 5 cloves Garlic, minced
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 tbs Garlic Powder, Divided & more if needed
- 2 tbs Italian Seasoning, Divided & more if needed
- 2 28 oz Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 pound Pasta
- 1 ladle Pasta Water
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté for about 3 minutes or until the onion begins to soften.
- Then add the minced garlic and half of the italian seasoning and garlic powder. Sauté that together for another minute.
- Now add the ground beef and season it with salt and pepper. Cook that until the beef is browed and break it into small pieces with your spatula or spoon. If the beef produces a lot of grease drain in from the skillet.
- Next add the white wine and turn the heat up to high. Let the wine gently boil of a minute or two.
- Then reduce the heat to medium high and add the crushed tomatoes. Season them with salt, pepper and the rest of the italian seasoning and garlic powder. Stir everything together and reduce the heat to low. Simmer the sauce stirring occasionally while the pasta cooks.
- Boil the pasta in salt water according to the directions on the package. Just before the pasta is done and needs to be strained, remove a ladle of the water and add it to the sauce. The salty starchy water will season the sauce and thicken it also.
- Stir the pasta water into the sauce and add the pasta to it also. Gently toss the pasta into the sauce and serve warm.