These ultimate mashed potatoes are made with garlic and herb infused butter making them super flavorful.
The ultimate mashed potatoes
From the recipe collection of Tara Ippolito
These really are the ultimate mashed potatoes.
Once I started making them this way I never went back.
They’re so easy and absolutely delicious!
There’s so much flavor infused into every bite because of my little butter trick.
What’s my butter trick? Great question.
I melt the butter with herbs and garlic. That way the butter itself gets flavored.
Once it’s mixed into the mashed potatoes they taste incredible!
I get so many compliments on these every time I make them.
This recipe is great for a causal weeknight dinner or special occasion.
I’ve made them for family dinners and as a Thanksgiving and Christmas side dish.
I know If you make these ultimate mashed potatoes that you’ll love them, too.
Fast. Simple. Delicious.
Did you know that I have a cookbook called Fast Simple Delicious?
It’s 60 no fuss no fair comfort food recipes perfect for busy weekday dinners.
Click HERE to order your copy. Thanks for the support.
What potatoes should I use?
So Yukon Gold potatoes are the best for mashing.
That’s because they’re naturally buttery and have a high starch content.
They make really nice sense dense mashed potatoes.
Russet would work but if you can get your hands on some Yukon Gold potatoes, use them.
Do I have to use chicken broth?
No you don’t have to boil these potatoes in chicken broth.
You can use vegetable broth if you’d like or just water.
The broth will add a bunch of flavor to the potatoes. So I definitely recommend it.
But water would work just fine, too.
What can I serve this with?
Mashed potatoes are great because they go with just about anything.
Like I mentioned earlier, I’ve made these for holidays and family weeknight dinners, too.
Paid these with your favorite protein and you’re good to go.
If you’re looking for some inspiration, here are a few recipes to go with this that I absolutely love.
- BBQ chicken legs
- Citrus marinated skirt steak
- Muffin tin chicken pot pies
- Breaded pork chops
- The best chicken marinade
- The best chicken teriyaki
Other Potato Recipes
If you’re looking for some other delicious potato recipes here are some great ones.
- Garlic Parmesan fries
- Crispy oven roasted potatoes
- Lemon & dill roasted potatoes
- Lipton oven roasted potatoes
The ultimate mashed potatoes ingredients
- Chicken broth
- Garlic cloves
- Fresh thyme
- Fresh rosemary
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic powder
- Sour cream
- Heavy cream
- Chives/ parsley for garnish (optional)
First, clean, peel and chop your potatoes into about 2 inch cubes.
Now add them to a sauce pan and cover them in chicken broth. Boil them until fork tender.
Then drain them and set them aside.
Now in that same sauce pan, add butter, garlic cloves, thyme and rosemary.
Let the butter melt over medium high heat and stir the ingredients in. Remove the ingredients from the butter after a couple of minutes. (Once you can smell the herbs and garlic.
Next add the potatoes back into the pot with the infused butter.
Then add the sour cream and heavy cream.
Now season the potatoes with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Mash it all together until smooth.
Finally transfer the mashed potatoes to a serving dish. Garnish with chives/parsley and add a little pad of butter if you’d like.
Serve warm and enjoy!
The ultimate mashed potatoes recipe video
The Ultimate Mashed Potatoes
- 3 lbs Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 1-2 32 oz chicken broth (you may need more just make sure the potatoes are covered in liquid)
- 1 stick butter
- 5 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 5 sprigs Thyme, fresh
- 5 sprigs Rosemary, fresh
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tbs garlic powder
- 1/2 c heavy cream
- 2/3 c sour cream
- parsley or chives for garnish (optional)
- Fist, clean, peel and chop the potatoes into 2 inch cubes. Then add them to a pot. Cover them in the chicken broth and boil until fork tender (about 10 minutes)
- Drain the potatoes and set them in the side. In the same pot, melt the butter with the fresh garlic, thyme and rosemary. Stir everything together for about 3/4 minutes then remove the everything from the butter.
- Now add the potatoes back into the pot. Season with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Also add the cream and sour cream.
- Mash the potatoes until everything is evenly combined together and the potatoes are smooth.
- Serve with a little pad on butter on top and garnish with parsley or chives (optional)