Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
These white chicken enchiladas are made with shredded, seasoned chicken wrapped in four tortillas and baked in a creamy cheese sauce.
White Chicken Enchiladas
From the recipe collection of Tara Ippolito
I absolutely love this recipe for white chicken enchiladas.
My whole family does as a matter of fact.
It’s one of those perfect busy week night dinner recipes because it’s so easy to make and everyone just loves it.
Using a rotisserie chicken and simple ingredients make putting this recipe together almost effortless.
Not to mention that is incredibly delicious, too.
There are a lot of great flavors going on in here. I wasn’t joking when I said I love this recipe. I could easily eat this once a week with zero complaints.
If you give this recipe a try, I know that you’ll love it, too.
Fast. Simple. Delicious.
Did you know that I have a cookbook called Fast Simple Delicious?
It’s 60 no fuss no fail comfort food recipes perfect for busy weekday dinners.
Click HERE to order your copy or click the 3 lines in the top right corner and click “Book”. Thank you for the support.
What kind of chicken should I use?
I love using a shredded rotisserie chicken from the grocery store for this recipe.
They are so convenient and flavorful. Feel free to roast your own chicken though if you’d like.
Something like diced cooked chicken breast would work well, too.
Do I have to use flour tortillas?
No you don’t have to use flour tortillas for this recipe. I just happen to prefer them.
Plus I feel like it really goes well with the whole white theme.
But corn tortillas would absolutely work here, too.
Just be sure to warm them before you try to roll them or they’ll most likely break.
Do I really have to shred the cheese myself?
Yes, absolutely! This is the one thing that I’d really urge you not to take a shortcut on.
Pre-shredded bagged cheese has chemicals in it like cellulose.
This keeps the cheese from clumping but it also prevents it from melting properly.
Shred the cheese off the block. The chicken enchiladas will be much creamier that way.
How can I make these white chicken enchiladas spicy?
If you’d like to make these chicke enchiladas spicy, that can easily be done.
First, try using a hot and spicy taco seasoning packet instead of a regular or mild one.
Next, you could swap the canned chili’s out for some diced jalapeños.
That will be sure to add some great spice to this dish.
What can I serve these white chicken enchiladas with?
These enchiladas would be perfectly fine serving alone. It’s a very hearty dinner.
White Chicken Enchiladas Ingredients
- Flour tortillas
- Shredded chicken
- Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- Cream cheese, softened
- Taco seasoning packet
- Green chilies
- Sour cream
- Chicken stock
- Salt & pepper
- Cooking spray
- Dried parsley, optional
First, in a large bowl, add the shredded chicken, Monterey Jack cheese, cream cheese, chili’s and half of the taco seasoning packet.
Then mix everything together until it’s evenly combined.
Now grab a tortilla and evenly distribute the filling into the center of each one.
Next roll them up and place them seam side down into a sprayed 9”x13” baking dish.
After that, melt the butter in a skillet over medium high heat.
Then add the flour and taco seasoning packet and whisk them into the butter for about 3 minutes.
Now slowly whisk in the chicken stock.
Next, stir in more shredded cheese and sour cream.
Reduce the heat to medium low and continue cooking until the cheese is melted and the sauce us smooth.
Now season the sauce with a little salt and pepper ( if needed) and pour it evenly over the enchiladas. Sprinkle with some dried parsley if you’d like.
After that, bake them in the oven at 350° for about 25 minutes or until the cheese sauce is nice and bubbly.
Finally let them cool slightly and serve warm. Enjoy.
White Chicken Enchiladas
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1 taco seasoning packet,divided
- 6=8 four tortilas
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 c monterey jack cheese, shredded- divided
- 3 tbs butter
- 3 tbs four
- 2 c chicken broth
- 3/4 c sour cream
- 1 4oz can diced chilies
- First, in a large bowl, mix together the shredded chicken, Monterey Jack cheese, cream cheese, chili’s and half of the taco seasoning packet.
- Now grab a tortilla and evenly distribute the filling into the center of each one. Roll them up and place them seam side down into a sprayed 9”x13” baking dish.
- After that, melt the butter in a skillet over medium high heat. Then add the flour and the rest of the taco seasoning packet and whisk it into the butter for about 3 minutes.
- Now slowly whisk in the chicken stock and stir in the rest of the shredded cheese and sour cream.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and continue cooking until the cheese is melted and the sauce us smooth. Now season the sauce with a little salt and pepper ( if needed) and pour it evenly over the enchiladas. Sprinkle with some dried parsley if you’d like.
- After that, bake them in the oven at 350 for about 25 minutes or until the cheese sauce is nice and bubbly. Let them cool slightly and serve warm. Enjoy.