This creamy tomato sauce goes so well with ravioli. It’s super fast and easy to make, too.
Creamy Tomato Ravioli Sauce
From the recipe collection of Tara Ippolito
This creamy tomato sauce is the perfect choice to put on ravioli.
I love a good stuffed pasta and make it often. I went with cheese ravioli here and it was so so good.
Sometimes I get bored between making the same old sauces to go with it though.
Its nice to switch it up and bring something different to the table. Literally.
The creamy tomato sauce is such a great compliment to this stuffed pasta..
I love how filling it is. I can make this entirely on its own and serve it as a full meal if I want,
Or add some garlic bread/ a nice big salad with it and you’re done. Easy!
This dish is perfect for a busy week night dinner. It’s super fast, easy to make and generally a crowd pleaser.
You just can’t go wrong with that! Oh and did I mention is absolutely delicious, too?
I almost forgot that very important part.
This sauce is incredible.
If you like fast and easy weekday dinners like this you’ll also love these:
- The Best Vodka Sauce
- NO ROUX Shells and Cheese
- Tik Tok’s Viral Alfredo Sauce
- Chicken Noodle Casserole
Creamy tomato ravioli sauce recipe video:
Do I have to use cheese ravioli?
Absolutely not! Use whatever filling you like.
There are so many options out there. Don’t feel limited to any one flavor.
Switch it up as often and as frequent as you’d like.
Variety is the spice of life!
Can I use this creamy tomato ravioli sauce on other things?
You sure can.
This sauce would be great on so many other things besides ravioli.
Here are a few ideas for how else to use it:
- Traditional pasta
- Baked pasta like ziti or lasagna
- Chicken/eggplant parmesan
- Dunking Sauce
What wine should I use?
Listen, if you’re like me wine is wine.
I don’t drink the super cheap stuff or the super expensive stuff either.
I’m somewhere right in the middle.
Rule of thumb for regular people like us is to just cook with a wine you’d drink yourself.
If you have some opened, use that. It will work just fine.
Also, red and white do the same job so feel free to swap those out while cooking.
Can I substitute the wine all together?
Yes, you can substitute the wine for sure.
If you’re not into cooking with wine or just simply don’t have any, that’s fine.
Use a little chicken or vegetable stock if you have that.
It will do the trick.
Tips for cooking the ravioli
Just a helpful FYI on the boiling pastas aspect.
- Drop the pasta when the water is at a rapid boil not before or else it will become gummy.
- Use a big pot with plenty of water so the pasta has enough room to expand.
- Salt your water heavily. The salt will absorb into the ravioli themselves and add a lot of flavor.
- Don’t add oil to the pasta water. The oil will coat the ravioli and prevent the sauce from sticking to it later.
What can I add to this sauce?
There are ways to jazz this sauce up for sure.
Here are some ideas to get the creative juices flowing:
- Seasoned/cooked ground beef
- Browned sausage
- Sautéed spinach/mushrooms
- Fresh herbs
Any of those suggestions would be great additions to this sauce.
Just remember this recipe is meant to be used as a guide so make it your own by adding or subtracting whatever you’d like.
Creamy tomato ravioli sauce ingredients:
- Cheese ravioli
- Crushed tomatoes ( I used Mutti brand)
- Parmesan cheese
- Heavy cream
- White wine
- Salt & pepper
- Italian seasoning
- Shredded basil
- Pasta water
- Fresh parsley
First, melt the butter in a large pan.
Add the onions and sauté until they’re soft.
Then add the garlic and Italian seasoning. Sauté for one more minute.
Next add the white wine and bring it to a gentle boil for about 2 minutes.
Now add the crushed tomatoes.
Now stir everything together.
After that season the sauce with salt, pepper, garlic powder and more Italian seasoning.
Give it a big stir and let the sauce simmer for about 10 minutes.
Then add the Parmesan cheese and the cream.
Sir everything together until it’s evenly combined.
I like to add another little tab of butter here, too. It makes it extra creamy.
Now mix everything together and let it simmer for about 10 more minutes.
Cook the ravioli until al dente and add it into the sauce with one ladle of pasta water.
Let the ravioli continue to cook in the sauce for another 2 minutes or so.
Lastly add the shredded basil and toss everything together.
Serve it warm and garnish with some Parmesan cheese and fresh chopped parsley.
This dinner would be amazing along side some Classic Italian Meatballs or Chicken Cutlets, too!
Creamy Tomato Ravioli Sauce
- 2 tbs Butter, divided
- 1/2 Onion, chopped small
- 5 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 tbs Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbs Garlic Powder
- 1 14oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup White wine
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 pound Cheese ravioli
- 1 ladle pasta water keep some pasta water before you drain it
- shredded basil
- fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- In a large skillet, melt 1 tbs of butter. Add the onion and saute for about 3 minutes or until the onion begins to soften. Add the garlic and cook that for another minute.
- Now add the white wine and bring the heat up to a gentle boil for about 3 minutes. The wine will start to reduce a little bit.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and garlic powder. Stir that all together and bring the heat down to a simmer. Let that cook for about 10/15 minutes.
- Then add the parmesan cheese, heavy cream and 1 tbs of butter. Stir that and let it simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Taste the sauce and re season if you need to.
- Cook the ravioli until al dente. Follow the cook times on whatever package you purchased.
- Add a ladle of pasta water to the sauce and add all of the ravioli to it, too. Let the pasta continue to cook in the sauce for another 2 minutes or so.
- The sauce will begin to thicken. Add some shredded basil and tosss the ravioli to stir in the basil and coat in completely in the sauce.
- Plate the pasta and garnish with parmesan cheese and chopped parsley.
About Al Dente Diva
Tara Ippolito is a self taught home cook from New Jersey and cookbook author of Fast, Simple, Delicious. Better known as “T” across social media, she makes easy to follow recipes using familiar ingredients. T uses her Tik Tok, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube and Pinterest channels to share recipes and cooking tips for everyday people. Her motivation to share with her followers is simple. To inspire people to cook and become more comfortable in the kitchen.
As a wife and busy mother of two little boys she she’s always cooking fast family friendly meals. Sharing her kitchen with others that want to learn is a true passion of hers. As her social media platforms continue to grow she is committed to delivering consistently delicious content to her followers.
[…] Creamy Tomato Ravioli Sauce […]
[…] my Creamy Tomato Ravioli Sauce […]
[…] Creamy Tomato Ravioli Sauce […]
[…] Creamy tomato ravioli sauce […]
This sauce was fantastic. I make my pasta from scratch and wondering if you have a recipe for a ravioli meat filling?
Thank you so much!!! No I do not I’m sorry