This really is the best vodka sauce I’ve ever had. It takes one hour to make but it’s so worth the wait.
From the recipe collection of Al Dente Diva.
The Best Vodka Sauce
Where I’m from in New Jersey we really do love our vodka sauce. It’s sold at practically every Italian deli, restaurant and pizza place around. There truly is nothing better then vodka sauce when its done right and this recipe is the best there is.
My mother got this recipe from one of her friends over 30 years ago. This was of course before the internet or Pinterest to help with dinner inspiration. This recipe was treated like gold in our house.
This is THE recipe. The best vodka sauce that I’ve ever had. It just so happens that plenty of other people agree with me, too. Since sharing this recipe on my social media platforms its gained millions of views. All of those views have brought hundreds of comments from people raving about how great the save is. CLICK HERE to view one of the posts if you’re curious.
We received this recipe all of those years ago and now Im paying it forward by passing it along to you. I hope you enjoy it If you like this recipe you’ll also love my Tortellini Soup Recipe and Creamy Tomato Sauce Recipe, too.
- Chopped Garlic
- Crushed Tomatoes
- Chopped Onion
- Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- Heavy Cream
- Freshly Grated Parmesan
- Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Italian Seasoning
How To Do It:
First, heat the olive oil and sauté the onion and garlic until it’s soft (add hot pepper flakes here if you like it spicy).
Now add the vodka. Bring the heat up and boil for 2-3 minutes.
Add the tomatoes then season with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning.
Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
Now add the heavy cream and parmesan cheese.
Then simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
Taste the sauce and re season if needed. I usually need to add a little salt and some more Italian seasoning.
Lastly add a ladle of pasta water and serve over pasta. Penne is what it’s usually served with but choose whatever you like.
You’re done! You’ve made the best vodka sauce ever.
I think this vodka sauce will be a recipe that you like, too. I hope it makes to your family table. Enjoy!
The Best Vodka Sauce
- Medium Size Pot
- 2 Tbs Olive Oil
- 2 Tbs Butter
- 1/2 Onion, diced
- 4 Cloves Minced Garlic
- 1/4 Cup Vodka
- 1 28oz can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Tbs Italian Seasoning
- 1 Tbs Garlic Powder
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Red Pepper Flakes Optional
- 1 ladle Pasta Water
- Heat olive oil and 1 tbs of butter in a large sauté pan or pot.
- Add onion and chopped garlic. Sauté until soft.
- Add Italian Seasoning, pepper flakes (of desires) and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Add the vodka and the heat up and boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and season with salt, pepper and a little more Italian seasoning.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally
- Add the heavy cream and parmesan cheese. Simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
- Season to taste and add 1 tbs of butter.
- Add pasta water to save and serve over prepared penne pasta.
Also, don’t rush the sauce. It will take a full hour to cook and be worth it!