This really is the best vodka sauce I’ve ever had. It takes one hour to make but it’s so worth the wait.
From the recipe collection of Al Dente Diva.
The Best Vodka Sauce
Where I’m from in New Jersey we really love our vodka sauce. It’s sold at practically every Italian deli, restaurant and pizza place that occupies my entire county.
It would probably be safe to assume that our love for vodka sauce is state wide. Not only is it a favorite to order out but we also make it at home a lot, too.
My mother got this recipe from one of my girlfriends Moms over 30 years ago. She was told it was the best vodka sauce recipe she could ever get.
Man was she right. We’ve never made another recipe for vodka sauce since we found this one. It’s so good that there was never a need to experiment with any other versions.
This is THE recipe. The best vodka sauce that I’ve ever had. Well I should say the best one that I’ve had homemade. Im no chef and had some pretty incredible ones dining out.
I’ve given this recipe out countless times. I like returning the favor that was given to me all those years ago. So now I’d like to pass it along to you…
- Tuttorosso Crushed Tomatoes
- Chopped Garlic
- Chopped Onion
- Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- Heavy Cream
- Freshly Grated Parmesan
- Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Italian Seasoning
How To Do It:
First, heat olive oil and sauté the onion and garlic until it’s soft (add hot pepper flakes here if desired).. Use a large pot like the one I have HERE.
Now add the vodka. Bring the heat up and boil for 2-3 minutes. By the way, I only use Titos Vodka. Its my favorite to drink and cook with.
Add the Tuttorosso Tomatoes. Then season with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning.
Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
Now add the heavy cream and parmesan cheese.
Then simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
Taste the sauce and re season if needed. I usually need to add a little salt and some more Italian seasoning.
Lastly serve over pasta. Penne is what it’s usually served with but choose whatever you like.
You’re done! You’ve made the best vodka sauce ever.
I think this vodka sauce will be a recipe that you like, too. I hope it makes to your family table. Enjoy!
The Best Vodka Sauce
- Medium Size Pot
- 2 Tbs Olive Oil
- 2 Tbs Butter
- 1/2 Onion, diced
- 4 Cloves Minced Garlic
- 1/4 Cup Vodka
- 1 28oz can Tuttorosso Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Tbs Italian Seasoning
- 1 Tbs Garlic Powder
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Red Pepper Flakes Optional
- Heat olive oil and 1 tbs of butter in a large sauté pan or pot.
- Add onion and chopped garlic. Sauté until soft.
- Add Italian Seasoning, pepper flakes (of desires) and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Add the vodka and the heat up and boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and season with salt, pepper and a little more Italian seasoning.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally
- Add the heavy cream and parmesan cheese. Simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
- Season to taste and add 1 tbs of butter.
- Serve over prepared penne pasta.
Also, don’t rush the sauce. It will take a full hour to cook and be worth it!