Spice up your normal taco night with a beef meximelt instead. They’re super cheesy and absolutely delicious.
From the recipe collection of Tara Ippolito
If you’ve ever had a Beef Meximelt before from Taco Bell consider yourself very lucky.
They removed it from their menu in 2019 and I was not okay with that decision at all.
Unfortunately, no one at Taco Bell cares how I feel about it. So I was left with no choice but to make my own at home.
Thankfully the recipe is super easy so I can have them anytime I want.
Now keep in mind this is my version of a beef Meximelt.
I put my own spin on it of course. But it’s as close to the real deal as you can get.
There’s nothing worse then when a restaurant pulls and item that you love from their menu.
If you’ve been missing the Taco Bell Beef Meximelt, too, I hope you give this recipe a try. Don’t forget to dunk it into this Copy Cat Taco Bell Quesadilla sauce, too!
I know you’re going to love it!
More Dinner Ideas
If you like easy recipes like this one here are a few others you’ll love, too.
How to spice it up!
It’s very easy to spice these Meximelts up if you like the heat. Here are a few ways to do that:
- Use Hot Salsa instead of mild
- Replace either the cheddar or monetary jack cheese for pepper Jack
- Add some diced jalapeños
- Use a spicy/hot flavored taco seasoning packet
Try any one of those options or use them all together to get some real heat into this dish.
Do I really have to shred the cheese myself?
Yes, you absolutely have to shred the cheese yourself.
It’s a must for this recipe. Don’t take a shortcut here and get the pre shredded cheese in a bag.
There’s all kinds of chemicals in there like cellulose that keep the cheese from clumping.
That anti clumping stuff is also going to stop the cheese from melting properly.
For this recipe to be the best, the cheeses need to be able to melt perfectly.
Take the extra time to shred the cheese yourself. It will be totally worth it.
Beef Meximelt Ingredients:
- Taco seasoning packet
- Ground beef
- Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Monetary jack cheese, shredded
First make the ground beef according to the instructions on the taco seasoning packet.
Now lay down one tortilla.
Lay some of the shredded cheddar and monetary jack cheese down on the tortilla.
Then add some salsa.
Next add some of the ground beef.
Now roll the tortilla up like a burrito. (See the below video if you need a visual.)
Lay the beef Meximelt seam side down onto a hot cooking sprayed skillet.
Toast the Meximelt over medium high heat until it’s nice and golden brown on both sides.
You can also wrap them in a damp paper towel and microwave them for about 30 seconds.
Cut them on a diagonal and serve warm with Taco Bell Copycat Quesadilla Sauce.
Beef Meximelt recipe video
- 1 pound Ground beef
- 1 packet Taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup Salsa (mild, medium or hot)
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Monetary jack cheese, shredded
- 4 large Flour Tortillas
- first, cook the ground beef according to the directions on the taco seasoning packet.
- Now place the 4 large tortillas down. Add both of the cheeses down onto the tortilla. Try to distribute the cheese evenly between the 4 tortillas
- Then evenly distribute the salsa on top of the cheese and do the same for the beef.
- Roll the tortilla up like a burrito. Place them seam side down onto a hot pan that's been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Cook the tortillas for just a minute or two on each side or until the tortilla browns.
- Cut them on a diagonal and serve warm