Put a new spin on an old classic with these delicious stuffed sausage and peppers.
Stuffed sausage and peppers
From the recipe collection of Tara Ippolito
This stuffed sausage and peppers recipe is a new fun way to serve an old classic.
I love sausage and peppers. My mom used to make this dish often for my family when I was growing up in Jersey.
I couldn’t even tell you how many times I’ve had it. What I can tell you is that it’s always been served the same way.
Well, slight variations but mostly sausage, peppers, onions and tomato sauce. Either on a roll or served alone.
That’s the fool proof formula.
Over the last year or two I’ve been seeing this awesome trend where people are stuffing their sausage with mozzarella cheese.
Why have I not thought of this?!?It makes so much sense when you think about it.
I guess when you’re used to eating something a certain way and it’s great you’re not really looking for ways to improve it.
I’m just glad someone had the bright idea for this food experiment that I’m now benefiting from completely.
It’s crazy how adding something small like mozzarella cheese can change everything.
I absolutely love this stuffed sausage and peppers recipe.
I know if you try it, you’ll love it, too.
What should I serve these stuffed sausage and peppers with?
What to serve this recipe with is up to you.
If you’re looking for a good keto or low carb recipe then serve this alone or with a nice big salad.
If that’s not a lifestyle you’re following the options are endless.
Any pasta or white rice would be fantastic here. There’s plenty of sauce that could be spooned over once the sausage is done baking.
And of course don’t underestimate the delicious power of a nice big roll. Stuffed sauage and pepper sandwiches
What sausage should I use?
Any variety of Italian sausage can be used for this recipe. Either hot or sweet.
Chicken sausage would work well here, too.
I actually prefer hot but usually choose sweet when I’m cooking for a group.
Feel free to do a mix of half and half if you’d like, too.
Do I have to use mozzarella cheese?
Mozzarella cheese is a great pick for this dish but of course the choice is yours.
String cheese especially makes stuffing the sausage super easy.
Luckily if you want some variety there are a lot of different flavors they come in nowadays.
So pick whatever you would really like.
What tomato sauce should I use?
If you have a homemade or jarred tomato sauce that you like, use that.
If you’re on the hunt for an incredible homemade basic tomato sauce recipe, mine is fantastic if you’d like to give that a try.
I actually used a jar of Rao’s Homemade for this recipe.
Any jarred sauce would do just fine here. Choose your favorite.
Other Italian dinner recipes
If you like quick and easy Italian dinners here are a few recipes worth trying for sure.
- The best vodka sauce
- Italian chicken nuggets
- Classic chicken cutlets
- One pot creamy broccoli pasta
- Creamy pancetta and peas pasta
Stuffed sausage and peppers ingredients
- Italian sausage (sweet or hot)
- Mozzarella cheese sticks
- White/ yellow onion
- Bell pepper
- Tomato sauce jarred or homemade
- Olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
First, add some tomato sauce to the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish.
Next, slice the sausage down the middle long ways. Be sure not to break through to the other side. Just make the cut about half way deep
The take a string cheese and place it in the slit.
Now wrap the sausage around the cheese.
Place the cheese stuffed sausage side by side into the baking dish slit side up.
After that, heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the peppers and onions and season them with salt and pepper.
Now sauté them until they’re soft. This should take about 3-5 min.
Then place the sautéed peppers and onions on top of the stuffed sausage.
Next add more tomato sauce to the top of the peppers, onions and sausage.
Cover the baking dish with tin foil and bake at 400° for 45 minutes or until the sausage is cooked all the way through.
Serve hot over pasta, rice or in a roll & enjoy.
Stuffed sausage and peppers recipe video
Stuffed Sausage and Peppers
- 1.5 pounds italian sausage, hot or sweet
- 8-10 mozzarella string cheese
- 1 24oz tomato sauce, homemade or jarred
- 1 large bell pepper, any color- sliced
- 1 large onion, white or yellow- sliced
- 2 tbs olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Line a 9x 13 inch baking dish with about a half a cup of tomato sauce
- Slice the sausage down long ways about half way deep. Be sure no to cut all the way through.
- plave a string cheese inside the sausage slit. Wrap the rest of the sausage around the string cheese
- place them side by side seam side up in the baking dish
- in a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the sliced peppers and onions
- season them with salt and pepper and sauté until the vegetables are soft. This should take about 5 minutes
- pour the peppers and onions on top of the stuffed sausage. Add the rest of the tomato sauce to the top.
- cover the baking dish with tin foil and bake for about 45 minutes or until the sausage as cooked all the way through.
- Serve hot alone, over rice, pasta or in a roll.