This simple Italian tomato sauce has been in my family for forever. Its perfect for pasta, pizza and whatever else you would need a good tomato sauce for.
Simple Italian Tomato Sauce
From the recipe collection of Tara Ippolito
Please don’t pay too much attention to the word “simple” in the title. Simple doesn’t mean it’s blah.
It’s not blah at all! This is just a very basic version and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that.
lol Tomato sauce serves lots of different purposes. Sometimes a good basic sauce is all you need or even want for that matter.
The great news about this one is that it can be used as a base to many other sauces. So if you happen to want to jazz it up a little bit be my guest.
For some reason people assume tomato sauce takes half a day to make and that’s really not true.
Can it if you want to let it simmer? Sure.
For me that’s usually for when some other ingredients are added. The longer it summers the more all those flavors get to blend together.
Since this one is so simple, it can be done in 30 minutes.
When you need a quick tomato sauce that’s super easy to make and totally delicious, this is your go to.
Simple Italian Tomato Sauce Uses
There are so many things that tomato sauce can be used for. You’re really only limited to your imagination.
Here are a few ideas to get those creative juices flowing:
- Chicken/ Eggplant Parmesan
- Base for soups
- Base for other sauces
How Do I Enhance Simple Italian Tomato Sauce
This is a great quotation because there are so many ways to do it.
Here are some great additions to this basic Italian tomato sauce recipe.
- Meat such as ground beef or sausage.
- More vegetables like carrots, celery, mushrooms, ect.
- Red or white wine
- Stock/ Broth
- Fresh herbs
- Heavy Cream
- Parmesan Cheese
- Seafood like mussels or shrimp
- Hot pepper flakes
How Long To Store Tomato Sauce:
Some people like to make a whole lot of extra when they make tomato sauce.
I totally get that. It’s very nice to have on hand.
Tomato sauce can be stored in the following ways for the following times:
- In the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
- In the freezer for up to 3 months.
Simple Italian Tomato Sauce Recipe Video:
Italian Tomato Sauce Ingredients:
- Diced onion
- Olive oil
- Crushed garlic
- Italian seasoning
- Crushed tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- Garlic powder
First, In a medium size pot, heat the butter and olive oil together and add the onion. Saute for about 5 minutes.
Now add the garlic and Italian seasoning. Sauté for about 3 more minutes.
Next stir in the crushed tomatoes and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning.
Turn the heat up until tiny bubbles just start to form then reduce the heat to low.
Lastly, let the sauce simmer for about 30 minutes stirring frequently.
Taste it and reseason if needed and serve warm.
If you like this simple tomato sauce here are some other sauces you’d probably love, too:
Simple Italian Tomato Sauce
- Medium Size Pot
- 1/2 Onion, chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 2 Tbs Olive Oil
- 2 Tbs Italian Seasoning
- 2 Tbs Garlic Powder
- 2 28oz cans Crushed Tomatoes
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 Tbs Butter
- In a medium size pot, heat the butter and olive oil over medium heat
- Add the chopped onion and sauté for about 4 minutes
- When the onion is soft, add the garlic and half of the Italian seasoning.
- Saute for about 3 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add the crushed tomatoes
- Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and the rest of the Italian seasoning
- Turn the heat up and stir the sauce frequently until you see it just starting to bubble.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Stirring occasionally
- Taste and reseason with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and garlic powder if it needs it,